Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tis a gift to be simple

One of the original objectives of this blog was "a journey toward a SIMPLER... lifestyle."  A discussion about simplicity can go so many different directions.  What renewed my spirit about simplicity, though, was a chapter from Richard Foster's classic Christian book, "Celebration of Discipline," entitled "The Discipline of Simplicity.  This chapter discusses both the inner and outer attitudes toward simplicity as it relates to God's Kingdom and spiritual growth.

Side note: Foster identifies himself as a Quaker.  I think I could get along very well with the Quakers. :) I've been calling Steve "Friend" for many years (and yes he answers to that as if it's his name).  Plus I love oats. ;) Seriously, though, I can respect many of the ideals of the Quaker denomination.

I tend to teeter between having a materialistic mindset and having what Foster calls an "ascetic" mindset.  Ascetics renounce possessions and generally feel the need to deny themselves any level of joy from what they would consider the "trappings" of this world.  Example: I once deliberated for a ridiculous amount of time over a $25 pillow from Target that perfectly matched my bedroom and I thought was beautiful.  I even brought the decision up in small group.  When there are people starving in this town, why do I need such an overpriced luxury item?  Ultimately I bought the pillow to teach myself a lesson. :)

Probably the best lesson I learned from the chapter was keeping the Kingdom of God the central purpose for simplicity.  "When the kingdom of God is genuinely placed first, ecological concerns, the poor, the equitable distribution of wealth and many other things will be given their proper attention."  Wow.  If I'm pursuing prairie as an act of gratefulness to God and not so much as a hobby, then He will guide me in what decisions to make.  Yes recycling, reducing, and reusing have many worldly benefits, but the point of doing any of those is supposed in worship of The Lord.  He desires for us to enjoy His creation, the milk, and the honey.  I am free to live and free to give.

So now that I'm focusing on the inner purpose of simplicity, how can I apply that to everyday life?  In the next part of this series, I'll cover Foster's first 5 of 10 "outward expressions of simplicity" and discuss what they mean for me.

~Carla

3 comments:

  1. Great post! That is one of my favorite books that I've read since I've been back in school. Glad you are getting so much out of it. I can't wait to see the rest of this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick! Steve and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It's one that I could see myself reading every year and still learning from it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete