Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Adventures in Babywearing


A Sling
There's a problem here its become quite clear.
Got a 6-month-old Sling fanatic who is clearly an addict.
Wakes in the mid of night screams with horrific might.
So outa the bed I fling and don the medicinal Sling.
Over the head the tool I fit and in it, him I sit.
Instantly he begins to cooo tis amazing what the sling will do.
Which route should I pursue, when he's 20 what should I do?
I gotta wean him from the Sling I tell you, its an addictive thing!
— Bondweign, Hanrath

A few years ago, I had no concept of what baby-wearing really was.  A friend of mine was a distributor of the Maya wrap (ring sling- adjustable with metal rings) and I bought one from her for my cousin.  I wasn't really sure what it was or how she would use it, but I decided it would okay since it came with an instructional DVD.

Fast forward 3 years and I have a baby of my own.  That same sweet friend who I bought the Maya wrap from not only got me one, but also got me a pouch sling and my Ohio besties sprung for a Boba 3G (Carla's recommendation) from my Amazon registry.  I also borrowed a Moby wrap from Carla.  So all in all, I have 4 babywearing devices to choose from.
Moby

Maya ring sling

Boba 3G carrier

When L was a newborn, I found that the Maya, Moby, and Boba worked best.  He was 7 lb., 1 oz and he fit snug as a bug in a rug.  In the early days, I could tuck his feet, bend his knees, and fit him snugly against my chest.  He would lay his head near my heart and that familiar sound and warmth would woo him to sleep.  I liked each wrap for different reasons.  For outside the home, I preferred the Maya or the Boba for several reasons- the Boba provides more support than the Maya, and was easier for me to use when alone.  The Maya wrap took me FOREVER to figure out how to put it on.  It was easier though to adjust to get the perfect fit.  I liked to use the Moby at home due to the ridiculously LONG fabric.  The Moby is just one looong piece of fabric folded in half, so it is much easier to use at home.  I didn't want to drag it across the parking lot.

Now that he is 5 months old, I am continuing to change the way I use my carriers.  Now I prefer the Boba and Maya.  I can now carry him on my hip in the Maya (thanks to my friend Rachael).  In the Boba, his legs can hang out, but he is still facing in.  He gets mad at this sometimes because he likes to be able to look around.  I have also tried to wear him in a pouch sling recently, but it still feels awkward to me. 

I LOVE to wear my baby.  Sure, I get some strange looks sometimes from people, but I love that it is a time for bonding with him.  It is amazing how much he calms down when I wear him.  It is also much easier when going shopping or doing a lot of walking than carrying that HUGE infant pumpkin seat.  Good gosh, my child is tiny and it is still way too heavy for me!  Before "luxuries" such as pumpkin seats, baby swings, and bouncers existed, moms (and dads!) were "wearing" their babies.  They understood (centuries ago) the calmness, bonding, convenience and joy that baby-wearing brings. 

Review the following links for the benefits on baby-wearing:

Dr. Sears on Baby-wearing

La Leche League on Baby -wearing



For your viewing pleasure, check out this video:
Baby Mamas (Put a Sling On 'Em)


~Trina

3 comments:

  1. I loved baby wearing too! We had a pouch sling and baby Bjorn for Mallory, total life savers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still use my Boba with Marissa at 2.5yo! I loved the K'tan when she was smaller (simplified version of a moby or sleepy wrap).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my ring sling! I am still using it 17+ months and counting. I recently learned how to do a back carry with it which is very exciting :o)

    ReplyDelete