Friday, March 29, 2013

My name is Katie. I am three! I would really like to see a tree...

A few months ago, I started asking Katie what theme she might like for her third birthday party.  I love to get all crafty and plan ahead.  She had become obsessed with the Lorax movie around that time and decided she wanted a "Lorlax birthday."
 
The main premise behind the Dr. Seuss book and movie is that the Lorax character is the guardian of the trees.  When the Onceler starts chopping down the Truffula trees to makes Thneeds (a fine thing that all people need), the Lorax sets out to warn him about the dangers of cutting down the forest.  Can I just stop here and say how warm it makes my heart that my daughter is a tree hugger at her core? No brain washing needed. :)

Keeping with the environmental awareness theme of the story, we used no disposable kitchen products other than the flexible straws that we decorated with Lorax mustaches for the kiddos to use.  I really appreciate our family and friends going along with keeping up with their plates, napkins, cups, forks.  Next year I'll try to remember that it would be nice to have separate plates for dessert.  To me, the clean up was really not much more work since we just put everything in the dishwasher.

Here are some shots from the festivities:

Truffula tree light fixture


Katie's artwork for the party.  The Lorax on the left and the Onceler on the right.  I am extremely biased, but I see a little bit of a future Picasso in her collages here. ;)
 
Trina and Levi playing pin the mustache on the Lorax.  He was a little dizzy from spinning in circles before making his move. ;)

Cake! Made with almost all natural or organic ingredients.  Used spinach for the green icing color.  Truffula tree tooth picks from Target and Barbaloots made out of Teddy Graham crackers.

Happy Birthday to you!

A few of Katie's friends enjoying cake.


I am the Boo.  I speak for the trees.


Since her birthday actually falls on Easter this year, we thought a "small" party with her little church buddies and a couple of cousins would be easier than planning a big shindig right before Easter.  By the time we added in parents and siblings, we had a house full.  And the kids partied hardy!

A huge thank you to all our friends and family that helped us get ready for the party and celebrate!  We are so blessed to be surrounded with love!

~Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment