Sunday, July 29, 2012

My new craft obsession - KNITTING!

A couple of weeks ago a dear friend from California taught me the basics of knitting.  I borrowed a set of needles and a ball of yarn and started a "sampler" to practice.  After a few rows of practice, I was ready to get going on my first project.

With this suffocating summer of many 100+ degree days, I couldn't fathom making a scarf.  So, on the heels of my post about cloth in the kitchen, I decided to make a dishcloth.  I searched for simple patterns online and found one that created a waffle weave design. http://homespunliving.blogspot.com/2007/11/waffle-knit-dishcloth-pattern.html  

Once I got the hang of casting on, knitting, and purling (thanks to another friend for teaching that step), I found the rhythm soothing.  I stayed up too late for several nights in a row, but I was able to complete my first knitted dishcloth in less than a week!  So here it is:


I loved seeing the pattern develop and like the variegated color yarn.  I immediately started working on a second dishcloth with the remainder of the yarn and have several other yarn balls waiting in the wings.  I will probably switch patterns after I finish the second one just to keep from getting bored and to challenge myself to get better at more intricate designs. 

I can't wait to see how the dishcloths do in action and how well they hold up in the laundry.  The waffle design will hopefully make for good scrubbing action.

If you are a close friend or family member... one may be headed your way in six months or so! :)

~Carla

1 comment:

  1. Knitting is my next goal after sewing/quilting. I love my dishrags that Mom makes for me! Look forward to seeing more! ;)

    ReplyDelete