Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Honey Granola Recipe



The term "crunchy" in "crunchy mama" is a wink and a nudge to the use of the word "granola" to mean hippy.  So I guess every good crunchy mama needs a tasty granola recipe.  Here's how I found my favorite.

Steve and I came across a show on the local NBC station called, "The Kentucky Proud Kitchen."  This show was made for us as it combines our love of cooking, Kentucky, and local products.  A recent episode featured various recipes with local honey as an ingredient.  One of the recipes was for a simple and nutritious granola sweetened with honey.

I've been on the search for an easy granola recipe for several years.  I've focused on attempting bar types because I thought they would be the most appealing to Steve for his lunch.  He had been taking various brands of processed store bought bars as a workday snack.  However every recipe I tried either ended up stuck to the pan or too sticky to be enjoyable.

I was intrigued by the basic ingredients of the KY Proud recipe and thought I would give it a try even though the end result would be a crumbly, traditional granola rather than a bar.  I was also excited that the granola would feature local honey which is a great way to cut down on seasonal allergies and is a healthier alternative to other sweeteners.

Honey Granola:

  • 6 cups old-fashioned, rolled oats (I use a combo of Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain Cereal and store brand)
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 ½  cups honey
  • ½ cup oil (I use coconut)
  • 1 ½ cups sweetened dried cranberries (or less)
  • Other suggested add-ons: 1/2 cup chopped almonds, chopped all-fruit leather, shredded coconut, flax seeds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, nuts, and cinnamon.  Add honey and oil, mixing well to combine.  (Honey can be gently heated in the microwave to make it more fluid.)  Spread oat mixture onto a baking sheet which has been greased (I brush with coconut oil).  Bake oats for 20-25 minutes, turning mixture over with a spatula every 5-10 minutes to ensure even browning.  Remove from oven, mix in dried fruit, and return to oven for an additional 5-10 minutes.  Remove from oven, allow to cool, and transfer to an airtight container.


After letting the granola cool, I store in several different recycled containers.  I put smaller portions in old baby food jars for Steve's lunch each day.

We have all enjoyed eating this granola, or as Katie says, "granole."  Steve says that he doesn't mind that it's not a bar and thoroughly enjoys the little bit of something sweet/protein boost for his school day. 

Here's a picture of my little granola making helper sneaking a bite:
 



And here's a picture of her drying out black walnuts to hopefully be included in future granola.
 

~Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment