Sunday, September 9, 2012

De-Odor-Ain't Gone

I've been on a quest for the perfect deodorant for a while.  I want a deodorant that does it all: keeps you dry, free of odor, and is eco-friendly and non-toxic.  Why is it important to choose a non-toxic deodorant?

Your underarms are a rather sensitive place to slather on harsh chemicals such as-
  • Parabens-preservatives used in the cosmetic industry that have actually been found in breast cancer tissue 
  • Aluminum-yep, most antiperspirants contain aluminum.  Aluminum has been established as a neurotoxin.  Scary stuff- it can cross the blood-brain barrier and is capable of DNA damage.
  • Triclosan- an antibacterial and antifungal agent that is currently under review by the FDA.
Needless to say, I don't want to put any of that in my body, so I have been experimenting with the following deodorants:

  1. Tom's natural deodorant
  2. Crystal deodorant
  3. Suave 24 hr (powder scent)
  4. coconut oil
  5. **nothing**  :)
Originally, I thought I would do a legit, controlled scientific experiment to determine which deodorant worked best.  However, my busy schedule (including caring for a 5 month old) got in the way of that.  I will merely list pros and cons of each type I tried.



  1.  Tom's-  I like that this still has a scent.  The apricot scent is nice.  However, the deodorant is almost a gel-like form.  It is a little sticky as it goes on.  I felt like it was good at hiding odor for the first few hours.  After a while though, especially if I was in extra hot conditions, it just did not hold up well.
  2. Crystal deodorant- This is a roll-on and doesn't smell like anything.  Considering my underarms stunk when I got out of the shower (more on that in a second), as SOON as a I applied this, my pits smelled like, well, nothing.  As I sit here at 9:30 in the evening, though, I do smell "au naturel."  I got this at Kroger in the natural/organic section.  It was inexpensive.  
  3. Suave 24 hr.- Ugh.  I got this for $1 at a Dollar Store on my out-of-town work day because I was DESPERATE.  It was over 100 degrees, I was in and out of the car (with little to no air conditioning), using the breast pump while driving, and forgot my deodorant.  Nuf said.  This is actually terrible.  First, the smell is awful.  I literally feel like it's 1993 when the baby powder scent was in (remember Love's Baby Soft perfume??).  Second, I seriously feel it does something to change the chemistry of my underarm area.  I swear to you I can't SCRUB this stuff off in the shower.  It's like there is a film under my arms that won't go away.  I get out of the shower with my underarms smelling like stronger BO than when I got in.  Gross. 
  4. Coconut oil- Is there anything this little miracle can't do?  From using it as a diaper cream to putting it in your cookies, it is amazing!  It did a good job at keeping me stink-free, for a while.  I would say it would not be a good option if you'll be outside sweating for any period of time.  I also wonder about it leaving oil stains on my clothes.  
  5. **Nothing**- When I say nothing, I mean nothing.  I have found this to be the same concept as shaving, you know, the more you shave, the less your hair grows.  Well, the less I wear deodorant, the less I perspire and stink.  However, I still feel it's necessary at times when I know I will sweat. 
And there you have it.  You have to find what works best for you, but for me, I think it would be a combination of wearing nothing and using the Crystal deodorant.  Bottom line is de-odor-ain't gone no matter what I've tried, so why risk it using chemical-laden deodorants?

~Trina   

No comments:

Post a Comment