Sunday, July 15, 2012

Breast milk popsicles

Sooo, the babe is 3 1/2 months old.  NO ONE warned me about teething.  We were happily enjoying our non-fussy, sleeping through the night, "good" baby.  Then, he started teething.  It started a week ago.  We were out to dinner and he was sleeping away in his car seat.  Well guess what?  We got our food and you know what happened-- He woke up in a fit of rage, or maybe, pain.  He was frantically grabbing at his ears, so much that I was afraid he had an ear infection.  I actually ended up taking him outside to hold him until we could pack up the food and pay.  Awful.  We tried all the pacifiers and teething toys we had, but nothing seemed to calm that shrill cry.

He has been fussy on and off this week, but today has been one of the worst.  Last night I decided to take a bottle of my milk out of the fridge and pour it into an ice cube tray.  Enter breast milk popsicles.  How, you ask, does one feed a 3 1/2 month old a popsicle?  A mesh feeder.  The ones I have are made by Nuby, and if you can get past the annoying screw-on lid, they are wonderful (I am a speech pathologist and I use them with my kiddos who have feeding issues).  I realize they are for 6+ months, but I'm using breast milk, not food. 

Should have had a bib on!
After 3+ hours of screaming/nursing I decided to pull out my popsicles.  I popped the cubes out and wrestled opened the mesh feeder, but neglected one thing.  The cubes were too big for the feeder bag.  No biggie, break those suckers in half and we were good to go.  He immediately started gnawing on the milk cube.  He did this for about 1-2 minutes, then I think it got to be too cold.  He started screaming again.  In theory, this was a great idea, and I may try it again.  It did give me 1-2 minutes of consolation.  ;) 

Trina

No comments:

Post a Comment