Monday, July 16, 2012

Making hand soap with Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap

I just finished making my second batch of hand soap using Dr. Bronner's Unscented Baby-Mild Pure Castile Soap. The first batch a few weeks ago seemed to be too diluted so tonight I tried an approximately 1:6 ratio of castile soap to water. Here's how I made the second batch:



1. Rinse out an empty foaming soap pump

2. Measure out about a cup of water and fill soap bottle (more or less as needed)

3. Measure out between 1/8 to 1/4 cup of castile soap and pour into bottle

4. Add essential oil for fragrance if desired - I added 4 drops of lavender. Even though I'm using the "unscented" version of Dr. Bronner's, I felt like my first batch without the oil left a putrid smell on my hands.

5. Replace pump handle and enjoy!

I had the hubby buy-off on which smell he preferred to add to the mixture. He is slowly coming on board with the natural beauty products, so I definitely want him to approve, and therefore use, what we buy or make. In addition to the natural ingredients of this soap mixture, the cost savings are HUGE! I hardly used 1 oz. of a 16 oz. bottle which costs less than $10 at most stores. That's approximately .63 per batch plus a neglible amount of essential oil. I could MAYBE get another brand on sale with coupon match-up for cheaper, but I doubt it would be as natural. Plus it's easy peezy and fun to do!

I'm going to be making more homemade cleaners with Dr. Bronner's soon so stay tuned!

~Carla

1 comment:

  1. My kitchen soap pump is alllllmost out; I haven't forgotten about saving it for you! (Oh, and I put the remainder of my Dr Bronners in my bathroom pump, and I'm really happy with it. So glad you suggested using the foaming-style dispenser!

    ReplyDelete