Monday, July 16, 2012

A shot of Apple Cider Vinegar a day keeps the doctor away

I've been using apple cider vinegar (ACV) for a couple of weeks now as a conditioner (more about that later) and have used it in various recipes over the years.  But last week I was cruising around Pinterest and found this link:

40 uses for apple cider vinegar

I was intrigued by the number of health benefits that ACV supposedly provides, but I wasn't sure the best way of getting my daily dose.  Trina and I did some research and found several recommendations about chugging a couple of tablespoons of ACV sweetened by raw local honey (which also provides a plethora of health benefits).  Yesterday morning we gave it a try for the first time.  We even roped the hubbies in!  And WHOA! talk about a way to start your day with a bang!!  My throat burned and tingled for several minutes. I could tell this process was going to feel more like a morning chore that I would quickly abandon and figured other people must have different methods.

So we went back to researching a more palatable way of knocking back our ACV shots.  Site after site said, "do not consume ACV without first diluting in an 8 ounce glass of water."  Oops!  But I wasn't convinced that I could stand to drink an entire glass of this pungent stuff.

So here's what I did this morning (Day 2):
  • coated my tongue with a tablespoon of honey - still need to get local honey so the store brand honey bear will have to do for now.
  • knocked back a shot of ACV
  • quickly chased with a large glass of water
Voila!  No burn and no nasty after taste!  Now I don't claim to be any sort of medical expert, so proceed with caution if you decide to follow this process.  If I have problems with a sore throat after a few days, I'll see what changes I can stand to make and update.

~Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment